Computers, phones and Bank accounts

2nd Hoop: Computers, phones and Bank accounts......
Now, it is very important in this day of technology to have access to the other side of the world (i.e. my family). The problem with the flat in Elstree was a lack of free wireless access and that meant... COMPUTER WITHDRAWL!!!.... (Just ask my daughter how bad that can be for me). There are options and they are:
1. Knock on doors and say : "Pardon, could I have your passcode so that I could borrow your wireless access. Please! "
2. Find an internet cafe and drag my 5 + lbs of computer and stuff to location.
3. Find an internet room and pay per hour on computer.
4. Get a modem for satelite and hook up for a small monthly sum and contract.

Now, I really like option 1 but it isn't very practical. Nor is it a great way to win friends! I would probably need character documentation and letters from friends and family. The next option would be to find an internet cafe. I heard there was one in Watford and that is a 30 minute bus ride. So, I grab my computer and lug it down the stairs and on to the bus. When I arrive in Watford, I ask where I would find the internet cafe. It is just down the road, turn left by the second McDonalds and I should see it. Oh yes, there it is. Wait! It has a big metal door pulled down over the entrance. Now that isn't fun. So, I go to a coffee shop to rethink the problem. I open up the computer and turn it on... just in case there is free access in the neighborhood. There wasn't, so I just enjoyed my coffee, and went to my friends to use their free access.

Option 3 is another day. I am going to find an internet room. I like free so I give that some thought and I remember that Librarys are always a great option. Off I go to Watford and I go to find the public library.

30 minute bus ride and 10 minute walk. The library has computers for use and yes, I can use it if I have a library card. No problem. Give me a library card.
Do you live in the area? Yes
Do you have proof?
What would you need? I ask.
We would need a proper rental agreement or a utility bill to say you live here.
No, I don't have any of those things so what else can I do?
You can pay us 2.40GBP ($5.25) and we will let you have one hour.

So, I get my one hour under an airconditoner that is blowing cold air on me. While I am on the computer, I find out that I have a trip tomorrow and I am going to San Francisco. I promptly email my husband to tell him I am coming home and leave the problem of internets and phones till later. Right before I leave the library, I check my email one last time and I have one from my best friend (husband) saying "I knew this would work".

On the way out of the library, I decide to check into option 4 because I don't like the options I have seen so far. So, I go to Vodaphone and meet Neil, the manager, and he tells me that I will need a credit card and a passport. Yeah! I have those. So we sit down to talk about modems and/or cards to slip into the side of my computer. I am not sure about the card, but I do know I have USB ports and so a modem is the choice of the day. I get out my passport and my trusty American Express Card (never leave home without it) and Neil's face falls.

"Don't you have a card with a chipnapin?"
A What?
"a chipnapin"
"Whats that?" I want to know.
"A chip and a pin number" embedded in the card. and he shows me his card.
At this point we both know that I don't have one. So we look at his options.
I can have a passport......yes
proof of address in states....yes
utility bill for here....nooo
rental agreement.....noooo
bank account......nooo
" Guess you will have to come back later with the first two and one of the other options."
So, another day without my computer, no bank account, and having spent a lot of money on bus fares. Thank God! The rain that they are talking about has not happened to me and I have had beautiful weather to do all this running around in. Can you imagine adding a rain storm to this mess?

I guess I will try to get the illusive bank account and continue to use my Mobal World Phone
http://www.mobalrental.com/gsm/handsets.asp that I purchased before I left the states. The free adapter has been the extra value and there is no contract. Now, I have to get everyone to call me so it will be free. Remember, I like free.

Comments

Unknown said…
Here I am slaving over a hot washer and dryer because my laundry lady isn't keeping up. Now I am vacuuming up the dog hair because my maid can't keep up. Soon I will have to slave over a hot grill to make supper because my cook isn't around. Here you are, flitting about casually enjoying a wonderfully historic and fun place making it sound like work. LOL. It also like you need some vactioning visitors. We intend to apply for our passports soon, so that we will hopefully have them by next summer and visit.
LondonFlygirl said…
Better apply sooner rather than later. I would love to have the company.
Unknown said…
Hey, do I call the old cell phone number or is there a new one, and who pays for the overseas call - me or you?
Sue
LondonFlygirl said…
You can call the old one. If you call the new one, I don't pay for incoming calls. Have it on during my day in London.

Popular Posts