Planes, Trains and Rain!


I came into London today, on time, but really tired. It seemed that everyone was out of sorts and we had a small medical emergency as well as a passenger who was bound and determined to have a miserable flight. She succeeded!

We landed in very wet, gusty weather and I had a Heathrow Connect ticket to Ealing Broadway, so I wasn't going to have to wait long till I was home, have a hot bath and go to bed. But you know the saying about "best laid plans"?! Lets see what happens when you are really tired and why we should never drive ourselves in these conditions.

I went to the train station and wait patiently on the platform for my train which pulls up in short order. But wait, it looks different! That's OK. I am reading the sign and it says Heathrow Connect 6 minutes. So, I get on and start looking for a seat. But this train really looks different, so I had better ask.
Wait!!! The doors are closing! I turn quickly and start punching the little button that says OPEN, and it isn't working. Oh good, here comes the ticket taker. I know he won't let me go to the wrong station. So I ask, "is this the Heathrow Connect" and he says "No" and then the train leaves the station, next stop Paddington. He agrees to take my little Connect Ticket for this very expensive, fast ride to Paddington (next stop). Then I can get off and transfer back. That was at 1130AM.

Once at Paddington, I find the underground going back to Ealing Broadway. I need the hmmmm, Circle Line or District Line to Nottinghill Gate. Goodness, its at the bottom of some (quite a few) stairs. Or is it up? Can't remember. Climb stairs with suitcase, purse, shopping (saved more money for my husband, it was all on sale) and computer bag. OK, now at the top of the stairs, I have to go down the stairs to the platform. Announcement, "please stand back from the edge and string yourselves out. I promise you won't get wet". Get on the train. Announcement, "next stop Edgware Road". Crap!!! I am going the wrong way.
Get off at Edgeware Road. Up the stairs, lots of them, and down the stairs. Wait for train to Nottinghill Gate. Double Check!! Right platform? Good. Get off at Nottinghill Gate.
Up the staircase, down the staircase, (do you ever feel like throwing your bag down the stairs?) Catch Central Line to Ealing Broadway. Hey, there is a train to Ruislip, I can just wait a few more minutes and catch that one.(should never stop to think, or should I)...
Central train leaves and I am still thinking....
Wait a minute, Ruislip doesn't stop there. Thank goodness, I didn't get on that train.
Wait a few more minutes to catch Central Line to Ealing Broadway. I arrive and now the rain comes in buckets, cats and dogs! It is 130PM and I have to climb the stairs and walk for 15 minutes in the pouring rain.
At this point, I make a very wise decision! I stop in at Cafe Freddo for a latte, sandwich, and to wait out the rain. Never again! Well, not till next time anyway.

So, from wet and rainy London and on behalf of myself and Cafe Freddo (the food is good and the internet works) I bid you adieu. I am going to walk in the wet and get that hot bath and bed!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Here we go round the mulberry bush
The mulberry bush, the mulberry bush
Here we go round the mulberry bush
So early in the morning
Anonymous said…
Den is soooooo sympathetic! LOL

Popular Posts