Bag Lady Cometh!!

I suppose that you are thinking…. “what happened to her? Did she drop off the face of the earth?” No, I am still here and trying to get organized. The process of moving is more complicated than the move itself. Questions that need to be addressed are: “aaaaagh! What was I thinking? “ and “when was the last time I was thinking?”
Imagine for a moment you are me…. Here is how your day goes. You need to move ALL of the stuff you have accumulated from London to San Francisco and you only have one bag. No problem, you haven’t accumulated too much stuff and it should fit or you can give it away. Now you know that you cant take the lamp, extension cords or electric bed warmer as the plugs don’t work in the US or Germany. So, you graciously leave those for your roommates. But, you need to move bedding, comforter, pillows , shoes (oh my gosh, that’s why I never have any shoes in California! They are all here!). Don’t forget your winter coats, you may not need them in California but you sure will need them in Germany! OK, ask the roommates for suitcases as yours is not sufficient. Go to the store and get those amazing bags that you suck the air out of and stuff that into the biggest suitcase you can find or borrow. Just in case you are wondering, I got all of the bedding and coats into the big suitcase. I made two trips to Chicago and went to the FEDEX office to mail home all of the shoes and some of my clothes. Now, back to the packing. I needed two more carry on bags to get the rest of my stuff home. I hired a cab to take me to the airport and checked all the bags home.
Once home and unpacked all over the house I had to figure out how to return the cases to their owners. I put one carry on inside the other big bag filled the carry on with all of my belongings that I would need for a month, and then my wonderful husband found a duffel type bag that I could use to put my things in so that when I returned these cases I would only have one bag at a time.
Back to London with the 3 bags in one, first stop, Ealing to return the big bag. Unpack and put everything I own into the two bags (I also have a computer bag). Take the tube to London to find my other roommate and return her bag. Unpack and put everything into the big duffel bag with wheels and leave from there to go to Germany. Now, a duffel bag is perfect for carrying everything, especially when it is on wheels, but it is very unwieldy when it has a computer bag hanging off the edge. It just doesn't work. I only have to do this until the 13th of September. Where the heck is my grocery cart???

Comments

Anonymous said…
You hang in their Girl, there is no resistance just the pressure of flying a little higher than before. You will level off soon enough and gather momentum. There you can adjust yourself for the next surge and possibly a landing somewhere. Luv ya Journey. Herbie

Popular Posts