Are we moving too fast?

Technology has taken us into a new dimension of communication. Text messaging, cell phones, and emails have replaced, to some extent, the written word. The frustration comes in the lack of immediate response. Cell phones, don't get answered any faster than old fashion home phones.

I had a very frustrating trip the other day and needed someone to vent to or talk to. Since my family is in the US and the time difference is a minimum of 6 hours I couldn't call them and texting or emails would result in the same delay. Yet, when I arrived at my London residence, I had a letter!! A letter that said more than a few text words could ever say. It said, "I thought of you the other day, I grabbed those precious moments, sat down and with pen to paper, wrote to you. I had to put it in an envelope, and walk to the post box to drop it in the mail." It wasn't instantly received but it arrived and was instantly appreciated. It made me feel "special".

I remembered the letters my husband and I used to write. He was in the Navy and I was in Minnesota. Phoning wasn't always an option. Texting and email hadnt been invented yet and as a result we shared our lives, beliefs and hopes and funny private moments by mail. We had conversations that took weeks instead of moments.

Maybe we should take "a moment" and really write a complete sentence to someone we care about. Send a letter, or a real card, make a real phone call. Let someone know that they were thought of in more than just an instant!

Comments

Anonymous said…
btw I luv u
Anonymous said…
Some would say that our lifestyle is crazy...even insane...but you and I know that what we have, you can't buy, trade or steal it. It's not found under a rock or behind a tree. You find it in your heart. On those cold lonely nights when all seems lost, all of a sudden that warm little glow starts down deep in your heart. We know the other is thinking about us. We have so many memories of great moments together that a few days of separation only makes the heart grown fonder. I love you.

Popular Posts