Culture Shock, who me?

I have done a lot of traveling and living everywhere so I thought I couldn't possibly be hit by Culture Shock! As small as the world has become, the differences can still be huge; especially when you are Hungry, Angry (me? never), Lonely or Tired. Now that I think about it, that is probably what culture shock is mostly about. So, don't feel bad if it happens to you.... it is perfectly normal. How do I know? I am perfectly normal (so I have been told) and it happened to me.

When you travel, you are usually ready for an adventure and can take on anything. But if you are tired, the smallest thing such as the "y" on a German computer keyboard being in the bottom left corner, can drive you to tears in sheer frustration. First of all, because you know they have one and second, because you can't find it.

Other things you don't take into consideration is that you may end up in a town or village where no one speaks your language, or your bankcard doesn't work. An unfurnished apartment in one country means no beds, tables or chairs and in another it means no cupboards, counters or appliances. You see the value and forget to convert it from pounds and euros to dollars. Hang in there. You will learn the differences and appreciate each country for its uniqueness! Viva la difference

Comments

Unknown said…
Hmmmmmm.....I must be having "culture shock" at work. Just kidding.

It takes a certain kind of courage, though, and T cells to take on a whole new country.
Unknown said…
I do question the "perfectly normal"...

It was wonderful spending time with you and your family at Chris & Nancy's. We and Dick & Sue had a marvelous time at the Fair; Molly and the Band were great!

Popular Posts