Getting settled

 
I have finally arrived and I am starting to get settled. I have found a place to live in Walldorf, a cute small town near the airport and close to Frankfurt. I have negotiated the train and can get to Frankfurt and back on my own and also to the airport and back. I am practicing my German, easier said than done, and have almost got all the banking and phone hiccups taken care of. So far, it has taken a lot less time than it did when I moved to London, but the stress is double because I don't speak the language.

This week was my first week on reserve and I have been sitting by the phone. It reminds me of the days that we didn't have cell phones and someone would tell you they were going to call. You pick up the phone to see if it is working... you make a call or have someone call you to make sure it is still working, and you sit up half the night wondering if the person who might call realizes you are waiting.... and waiting.... and waiting. So, I still haven't flown and I haven't got a lot of funds to play with this month and yes, I am bored to tears!

My new phone is a pay as you go and I purchased it at the airport. I am not sure how much money is left on my phone so I was being very careful with my minutes. Fortunately I do not pay for incoming calls. Yesterday, the phone rings and it is a German message (I have got to learn this language). She said something about 5 Euros. So, now I think I know what I have left and I can get it "topped up". Because I am on call I am being very frugal with my calls to my hubby. I want to make sure that the phone will still work until I can get somewhere to get it "topped up". While exploring the town center of Walldorf, one small area of streets, I found a phone store, but even they couldn't quite figure out how to top it up (and they were German).

Some wonderful things have happened here. Friends that I have from California have had layovers in Frankfurt. I met up with them and we went to dinner. I found my way to Frankfurt and to their hotels and it was all very easy. Also, friends I made in London are transferring here the end of September, so I will have more people to see and hang out with.

Auf Wiedersehn! Till tomorrow.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular Posts